The Little Red Schoolhouse
The Little Red Schoolhouse • The Little Red Schoolhouse was built in 1907 and was originally located behind the Valle Crucis Methodist Church. It has been moved three times and was once used as a barn, whose ownership was determined via a coin toss.
Located at The Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, North Carolina. The Mast General Store was started by Henry Taylor in 1883. WW Mast bought into the establishment in 1897 and purchased the remainder in 1913. Today, the Original Store in Valle Crucis is the patriarch of this family of stores. Listed on the National Historic Register as one of the best remaining examples of an old country store. This historic landmark, in the heart of North Carolina’s first rural historic district, has featured quality goods and traditional clothing since 1883.