Isabella Propeller and the Magic Beanie
Isabella Propeller and the Magic Beanie • Isabella is an adventuresome little girl who lives in the mountain village of Blowing Rock. Her imagination stirred by the legend of The Blowing Rock, and by the unusual wind patterns in the village, Isabella has always dreamed of flying high above the mountains which are her home. To her amazement and joy, with the help of her magic beanie, Isabella’s dream comes true.
Ever dream of flying? Most of us have, and Isabella, a precocious young girl, is no exception! After a strange encounter with a mysterious "Wind Lady", and with the help of a magic beanie, Isabella’s dream comes true! Set in the charming, real life village of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, and inspired by the area’s unusual wind patterns and a local legend, "Isabella Propeller" is certain to capture young readers’ imaginations. Accompanied by her dog, Mullaby, and her flying companion and protector, Red Tail, Isabella embarks on a flying adventure and enters an aerial world that has intrigued children and adults for generations.
Jonathan Graves is a retired attorney and native North Carolinian who lives with his wife, Lucy, in Blowing Rock, North Carolina and Atlanta, Georgia. A first time children’s book author, Mr. Graves enjoyed creating and telling stories to his children when they were young, and now enjoys doing the same with his five grandchildren.
The "story bench," located in the garden of his Blowing Rock home, has become a special place for his grandchildren to create stories of their own, including new and exciting adventures for Isabella and Red Tail as they fly over the North Carolina High Country. The vivid imaginations of his grandchildren, and the charm and winds of Blowing Rock, were the inspiration for the characters and story of "Isabella Propeller."
Gail E. Haley is an award-winning author and illustrator of numerous children’s books over her long career. Ms. Haley lives in the North Carolina High Country near Blowing Rock in a home filled with memorabilia of her career, not only as an illustrator, but as an author, puppeteer, artist, storyteller and teacher.
Ms. Haley won the Caldecott Medal in the United States for the African tale, "A Story, A Story," and uniquely, was also the recipient of the United Kingdom’s Kate Greenaway Medal for "The Post Office Cat." She also received Japan’s Kodai Tosho Award and the Kerlan Award, among others, for her illustrations.
The collaboration between these two, native North Carolinians, each of whom brought very different and unique talents to the process, has resulted in a children’s book full of imagination and visual delights!
Isabella’s Blowing Rock • Blowing Rock, North Carolina is a beautiful resort village, situated on the crown of the Blue Ridge Mountains at approximately 4,000 feet above sea level. With a year round population of approximately 1,500, and a seasonal population of approximately 10,000, Blowing Rock is a popular destination for those interested in cool summers, snowy winters, and in the arts, history and recreation. A small village of only three square miles, Blowing Rock is home to more than 100 shops, two dozen restaurants, nearly 20 hotels and inns, two world class spas, a performing arts center, and a new art and history museum. For more information on Blowing Rock and all it has to offer, visit The Town of Blowing Rock’s website at www.blowingrock.com
Isabella Propeller and the Magic Beanie • For ages 3 to 9 years, 36 pages Hardcover $15.95. Available on-line at www.isabellapropeller.com, and at the selected stores listed on the website and below.
• Black Bear Books ~ Boone, North Carolina, 828-264-4636
• Blowing Rock Art and History Museum ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-295-9099
• Kilwin’s ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-295-3088
• Main Oak Emporium ~ Mount Airy, North Carolina, 336-789-240
• Mast General Store ~ Boone, NC, 828-262-0000, Valle Crucis, NC, 828-963-6511
• Chetola Resort Gift Shop ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-295-5500
• Park Road Books ~ Charlotte, North Carolina, 704-525-9239
• Quail Ridge Books ~ Raleigh, North Carolina, 919-828-1588
• Tweetsie Railroad ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-264-9061
• Flora Ottimer ~ Blowing Rock, NC, 828-295-9122, Banner Elk, NC, 828-898-5112
• The French Shop ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-295-9989
• Boone Drug ~ Boone, North Carolina, 828-264-3055
• Morning Star Gallery ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-295-6991
• Village Pharmacy ~ Blowing Rock, North Carolina, 828-295-3482
• Flyleaf Books ~ Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 919-942-7373