Chef Andrew Long
Chef Andrew Long & His Wife Megan Join The Mast Farm Inn • "After a nationwide search, The Mast Farm Inn is honored to announce the appointment of Andrew Long as Executive Chef of its award-winning restaurant, Simplicity at The Mast Farm Inn, and of Megan Long as Grounds, Farm & Facilities Manager."
Andrew, a graduate of Johnson & Wales University in Charleston, South Carolina, comes to the Inn from Storie Street Grille in Blowing Rock, North Carolina, where he built a solid reputation for seven years serving creative cuisine focused on high-quality local products.
Andrew will continue to showcase the region’s sustainable farmers and producers with his style of French rooted, new Southern cuisine, very much in the style of southern culinary master Frank Stitt. Plans for the development of Simplicity at The Farm Inn include:
• An ever more significant investment in the organic farm-to-table connection;
• Greater menu, day and time options for guests, and High Country residents;
• Opening for dinner six days a week instead of three as previously;
• Opening for lunch six days a week;
• The introduction of a leisurely farmhouse Sunday Brunch which features North Carolina Farms & Artisan Food producers;
• The introduction of a series of multi-course tastings focusing on historic & heritage varieties of meats, produce and recipes;
• A house-made charcuterie & specialty foods program;
• Cooking classes and demonstrations
• A specialized beverage menu emphasizing NC beverages, NC craft beers, NC wines, and NC moonshines
• An expansion of the dining area to include outdoor seating in the serene setting that the historic Inn provides.
The Mast Farm Inn has been a Select Registry Inn for 15 years, and was recently inducted into The Historic Hotels of America organization. With the significant growth of the Inn these last few years, Marie-Henriette Deschamps and Danielle Deschamps Stabler, the mother-daughter executive chef team, have migrated towards expanded responsibilities at The Inn. Danielle is now the Innkeeper, General Manager, and Weddings & Events Manager, while Marie after 40 years of very hard work, and raising a family on two continents, has decided to hang up her professional chef coat to develop The Mast Farm Inn Cookbook series, and The Mast Farm Inn Organic Specialty Foods Collection. Say’s Danielle, "Of course Mom & I are good chefs, as we have won several awards, but Andy is in a whole other league, and we are thrilled, to say the least… we will be learning a lot, and Andy is one of the most likeable people you will ever meet. Add to that how it’s such a joy to have Megan & their children here, and we are feeling very Forrest Gump Lucky."
“I am beyond excited to begin the next chapter of my career in the creatively supportive environment that The Mast Farm Inn provides. My goal is to make this restaurant a destination where we create honest and thoughtfully prepared food. I look forward to introducing my first menu,” says Andrew.
In the tradition of The Mast Farm Inn, we will continue to offer a daily fixed price menu but will now also offer a la carte menu options, and vegetarian & vegan options.
Megan, besides taking care of our organic micro-farm, will be introducing more and more edible landscaping throughout the estate, assuring the authentic rural esthetic of the grounds, and focusing on enhancing the guest experience overall.
Says CEO Henri Deschamps, "When we went recruiting in early March we launched the following ad though national professional and trade publications:"
"The Mast Farm Inn in Valle Crucis, North Carolina, has witnessed significant growth and development the last 10 years. It has now developed to the point where we are designing and preparing its next stages of growth with highly-qualified professional hospitality management crew as we build our growing brand, range of products, and enter new markets. As such we seek a highly professional Innkeeper-Chef couple team to complement our existing team and other development partners. This is a very serious opportunity for the best of the best. For more information on The Mast Farm Inn see www.themastfarminn.com, send CV by email to email@example.com. Start Date next 3-6 months, duration 3 years to long-term, compensation includes on-site housing in separate detached home, vehicle and bonus structure."
Deschamps adds, "We were aiming for world-class and simply never thought to recruit locally. But a couple of months into the process, after receiving about 25 applications, most of which were truly outstanding, it dawned on us there was one local candidate we had not advised of the opportunity. Discovering the obvious; We realized an emerging young chef who was equally if not more qualified, and who we had watched develop from a young man fresh out of culinary school into an accomplished, respected, award winning chef, who we knew quite well, and for whom we had a great deal of respect and affection, both as a chef and as a person, was right there in Blowing Rock. Andy already knew all the farmers in our area, he had helped found an innovative local initiative called The F.A.R.M. Café, and he was widely respected in the community as an emerging culinary star. After several lengthy discussions about our vision and plans for the Inn, Andy and Megan decided The Mast Farm Inn was their future. For us it’s as if we just discovered four wonderful new family members, as Andy, Megan, their daughter and son, are living on the estate."
Deschamps admits that while he does not want to jinx it, he is pretty sure when looking at Andy, he is seeing a future James Beard Award chef. "Those who know him, know that Andy has a culinary stature of regional and potentially national significance, and people will discover it soon enough in a place like the Mast Farm Inn, where we are offering him complete freedom to develop his culinary vision"
The Mast Farm Inn is on the move and has received numerous distinctions and awards the last three months:
• Inducted into Historic Hotels of America®, a program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Historic Hotels of America was founded in 1989 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation with 32 charter members. Members of National Trust Historic Hotels of America represent the heritage and development of America. The Mast Farm Inn is one of less than 235 hotels and resorts throughout the country that is recognized by Historic Hotels of America for preserving and maintaining its historic integrity, architecture and ambiance. There are eight Historic Hotels of America® hotels in the state of North Carolina: Pinehurst Resort, The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa, The Carolina Inn, Old Edwards Inn and Spa, The Mast Farm Inn, The Dunhill Hotel, The Haywood Park Hotel, and most recently the newly restored Green Park Inn of Blowing Rock. See: http://www.themastfarminn.com/historichotels
• Top Ten in 2010, 2nd Place in 2011, and currently one of top twenty-five finalist for The Best Dish in North Carolina Award. The Best Dish in North Carolina Award is North Carolina’s Official Restaurant Award, presented every year by The North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services and sponsored by Our State Magazine. See: http://www.themastfarminn.com/taste-of-nc
• Designated by Martha Stewart Living, August 2012, "The Best List", Best Hotel, Best Food & Drink, Best Southern Fare: The Mast Farm Inn of Valle Crucis North Carolina • "It’s slow food, Southern style: Around since the 1800s, this farmhouse B&B serves classic Southern dishes made from local ingredients, including the ultimate shrimp and grits and hummingbird cake in a cozy farmhouse dining room." See: http://on.fb.me/N6sqVb
About The Mast Farm Inn of Historic Valle Crucis, North Carolina
More than a traditional Country Inn. The Mast Farm Inn is a world renowned historic country inn and restaurant in the Valle Crucis Historical District of Watauga County, North Carolina, which has been welcoming guests since the 1800s. While there have been extensive historically accurate renovations and improvements, the hospitality remains rural mountain traditional, attentive and sincere. The Mast Farm Inn is in a serene rural valley in a mountain village with a population under five hundred, and is surrounded by mountains, rivers and streams, within minutes from Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, Sugar Mountain, Linville, Boone, Grandfather Mountain, and The Blue Ridge Parkway, in the Western North Carolina High Country. The majestic scenic beauty of Valle Crucis continuously mesmerizes residents and draws visitors from throughout the world. A two to six hour drive from most major metropolitan areas in the southeastern United States. The Mast Farm Inn specializes in creative North Carolina Mountain Vacation Travel: specials & packages, weekday, long weekend and weekend getaways, gift certificates and gift packages. "So Much More… The world renowned Mast Farm Inn of Valle Crucis is nothing short of a handcrafted masterpiece of North Carolina Folk Art". ~ Emma Johnson. For more information, please visit www.themastfarminn.com
About Historic Hotels of America®
Historic Hotels of America® was founded in 1989 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation® with 32 charter members. In 2007, Preferred Hotel Group partnered with the National Trust for Historic Preservation to grow and enhance Historic Hotels of America. With more than 235 hotels that have faithfully maintained their authenticity, sense of place, and architectural integrity in the United States of America including the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, Historic Hotels of America is comprised of mostly independently owned and operated properties. More than 30 of the world’s finest hospitality brands, chains, and collections are represented in Historic Hotels of America. To be nominated and selected for membership into this prestigious program, a hotel must be at least 50 years old, listed in or eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, or recognized as having historic significance. Historic Hotels of America partners with Historic Hotels of Europe, a federation of 21 hotel associations in 21 countries, and with Historic Hotels of Mexico, an association of hotels and restaurants located in buildings of historical significance including haciendas, palaces, monasteries, convents, fortresses, country estates. For more information, please visit www.historichotels.org
About The Select Registry
The Mast Farm Inn is honored to be a member of The Select Registry. Of the nearly 24,000 Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns in North America, only 350 qualify to be members of The Select Registry. In North Carolina there are 21 members, and this from among over 800 B&B’s, Country Inns, and Boutique Hotels in Our State. Select Registry is a collection of North America’s most distinctive inns. Member properties must pass rigorous, on-going quality inspections to gain admission to this unique portfolio. Today, we represent nearly 350 of the "finest country inns, B&Bs, and unique small hotels" from California to Nova Scotia-the very best the travel industry has to offer. For more information, please visit www.selectregistry.com
Chef Andrew Long
The Mast Farm Inn
Tel: +1 828.963.5857
The Mast Farm Inn
Tel: +1 828.963.2626